As I blogged about yesterday, I am helping out my cousin prepare for her wedding. Since she and her fiancé have been working abroad for years, there are additional requirements on their end. I am sharing the marriage clearance application process on the blog today for my readers abroad who are planning to get married here in the Philippines.
The couple has chosen Chris the King Parish for their wedding. At the CTK office, I was instructed to go to the Diocese of Cubao first to get an endorsement letter before I could book the wedding date the couple wanted.
At the Chancery Office of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cubao, a questionnaire was given of which I asked the couple to accomplish. The filled out document was scanned and emailed to me, which I also forwarded to the Chancery Office. After evaluating the document, they gave me a formal letter to hand personally to CTK, and then released the list of requirements for the marriage clearance.
The Marriage Clearance Requirements
Here are the list of requirements for couples residing abroad in order to get a marriage clearance. I am not sure however if this applies to all churches.
- Bride & Groom: Newly issued Birth Certificate or Population Extract (NSO/LCRO)
- Bride & Groom: Photocopy of Passport
- Bride & Groom: 2 recent copies of 2×2 ID Picture
- Bride & Groom: Newly issued Baptismal and Confirmation Certificates with notation “For Marriage Purpose” or “Free to Marry” and/or the equivalent for the Non-Roman Catholic party. This should be originally signed by the parish priest with the parish seal.
- Bride & Groom: Newly issued “Freedom to Marry” from present parish priest abroad.
- Bride & Groom: Publication of 3 Sunday Banns in the respective parishes of the bride and the groom in the Philippines. (Note: This should be done 2-3 months prior to the wedding)
- Bride & Groom: Search of Marriage from State or Country Recorder Abroad.
- Bride & Groom: Certification of No Marriage (CENOMAR) for Marriage Purpose from the NSO.
- Bride & Groom: Marriage License from LCRO/City Hall (valid only for 120 days from the date of issuance and issued 11 days after application).
- Bride & Groom: Marriage Preparation Seminar – PRECANA taken at the parish where the intended marriage is to take place. This can be taken abroad or in other parish provided that a certificate of attendance is submitted as proof.
- Bride & Groom: Canonical Interview strictly done at the parish where the intended marriage is to take place. Result of the Canonical Interview and Marriage Expectation Inventory must be submitted personally by the couple the
- Bride & Groom: Application for Clearance to be filled up personally at the Chancery Office upon submission of the result of Canonical Interview.
The information above are lifted from the list of requirements given by Chancery Office of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cubao. Please note that you are to submit all original documents, unless specified and that the validity of the documents is 6 months old inclusive of the wedding date.