Not planning to throw a party on your child’s birthday? No problem! Here are some meaningful and creative alternatives to celebrate your child’s big day! Let’s map out a day full of merrymaking, well, the simple way!
Start the Day Right
What better way to make your child feel special than a sweet surprise the moment he wakes up? Here are some tips to start the celebration!
- Let the celebration begin with a special birthday breakfast! Wake up a bit earlier than your usual and make your family’s breakfast a little more special. Dress your dining table by putting on your best tablecloth and your best dining wares! And to honor your birthday child, plate his meal the fun way. How about a heart-shaped pancake? Or a funny-faced fruit? Don’t forget to top it with a birthday candle, too! And oh, if you still have the time, tell the dad to inflate some birthday balloons and decorate your child’s ‘usual chair’ at the kitchen table!
- Ask all members of the family to wrap a present for the birthday kid! No matter how small each family member gives, the thought of everyone remembering the day will surely make your child feel special! Hand the birthday gifts right after breakfast!
- Prepare a slide show of photos! Okay, this is something that you can do a week before the birthday so you’ll have enough time. Gather some family photos and come up with a slide show of them! You can play this during breakfast. (Tip: It would be great if you can record a video of some friends or family members greeting your child!)
- Say a family prayer. Lead a prayer of gratitude for your birthday child!
Map Out a Special Family Activity Through the Day
The celebration does not end in breakfast time, of course! It must continue through the day! Here are some family activities or adventures that you can consider!
- Celebrate with the less fortunate. Maybe it’s about time to introduce reaching out to less fortunate to your kid? Starting this on his birthday will make it all the more meaningful! (I would recommend this for kids aged 8 and up!)
- Bond at home. No plan of going out? Come up with some activities that the whole family can do at home. What does your birthday child enjoy doing? Arts and crafts? Come up with an arts and crafts afternoon! Movies? Convert your living room into a mini movie theater!
- Go on a family adventure! Take your child out! Go to the beach, zoo, amusement park… wherever you think he will have fun the most!
- Come up with really simple family party. Right in your yard, host a small party with just your family as ‘guests’. Come up with a lemonade party over your home-baked cookie or any theme that you think your kid will like. There are a myriad of free party printables that you can download online to make this super easy for you!
Wrap Up the Day with a Kiss
As you tuck your birthday kid to bed, express your love, affirmation and gratitude. Communicate in words and affection how you love being his mom. Kiss him good night and say your birthday wishes. =)
Leave a Reply