I dream that my little boy will see reading as a pleasure. That he will see it as an adventure, a source of information, a bliss. I dream that he will become a reader.Here are the simple things I do to inspire my three-year-old boy to love reading.
1. I have created a cozy reading area at home for him. A small space where age-appropriate books are easy to reach.
2. We always sing nursery rhymes together. I have read that singing together develops an ear for the sounds of language.
3. I try my very best to go home early after work so I could read aloud to him daily. I ask my boy to sit on my lap while we read books with attractive pictures or with surprising pop- ups.
4. We visit a bookstore at least once a month so he gets to choose the titles that he likes to read. We do bookstore visits with his cousins too.
5. I sometimes ask my little boy to act out the lines I read aloud. I also invite him to say the chorus lines he has memorized. Memorizing, I know, is one of the very first steps for him to learn how to read.
6. I model how much I enjoy reading. I like it when he watches me reading my own books too.
7. Before I tuck my little boy in bed, I don’t read books for him. Instead, I share my own story, a really simple one that teaches good values. I try to be very natural and funny while delivering it.
8. I respond enthusiastically when he shows early love for reading.
9. I pray earnestly that I will be able to sustain doing all these.